Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Lights and Lost 3/21/07

I think I'm just about officially on board the Friday Night Lights bandwagon. I really, really enjoyed last night's episode, for the most part. I'll get to that in a bit, though.

First off, and I've probably already said this so bear with the repetition, the dialogue on this show is so real, for lack of a better word. The characters actually stutter and repeat themselves, instead of sounding very polished. It's just a nice little detail to hear on a show. Not that I don't like polished dialogue, but on a show like this, the dialogue they use seems to fit better.

Anyway, I guess I'll my analysis of the show with the things that annoyed me. The one major thing that annoyed me was Lyla, at least through most of the episode. The way she was going on about how she just made "one mistake" when she slept with Riggins. I'm sorry, but sleeping with another guy when you're engaged or married to someone else does not classify as a mistake. It's not like she tripped, her clothes fell off, and she fell on an equally naked Riggins. Of course, maybe I'm just identifying her with AMC's Babe Carey a bit, who did the same type of thing, and also called it a mistake. Characters like that just annoy me.

However, I did like that Mama Garrity filled Lyla in on Buddy's past transgressions. And the only reason I like that is the way she took out her anger on Buddy. Going and destroying the car dealership was a stroke of genius. I love the symbolism of it all.

Buddy himself continues to annoy me. He's just so smarmy, trying to play Lyla against Mrs. Garrity, and trying to weasel his way back into their lives. If he cared so much for his family, he should have thought more about sleeping with other women. I, for one, am thrilled that he's been kicked to the curb.

At first, I was really shocked that Tyra's mom (whose name I haven't gotten down yet) was so against Tyra being anything more than a high-school dropout. It seemed like such a backward way of thinking to me. Parents should support whatever their children want to do, not discourage them from it. I'm glad she changed her tune near the end of the episode, though.

Question for fans of the show. What happened to Tyra's dad? I've been reading recaps, but I don't recall what the deal is there.

I really like Mrs. Taylor, too. (Why can't I remember her name?) I like how she's trying to get Tyra to see potential in herself. I also like how she didn't take any crap from Coach and Julie when they were all huffy about going to the father/daughter dance. She's such a cool mom.

As you all know, I have a thing for Kyle Chandler, and that is still alive and kicking after this week's episode. I've been reading too many recaps on TWOP, I think, but I was especially paying attention to his hair in this episode, specifically when he was making chili. I also really liked his scene with Julie in the car before the dance. It was a really nice father/daughter moment, and I liked how he wanted to hear Julie's opinion on the possible job at TMU. I also liked the close-up of Kyle's eyes. (I like eyes, what more can I say?)

I'm really glad that Jason is having second thoughts about his engagement to Lyla. And I really like his chemistry with the tattoo girl. They have a nice easy rapport going, and I'd love to see them explore that more. I think my favorite Jason scene, though, was when he was coaching Matt. That was just touching, and I could tell that it made him feel good after not making the team that was going to Beijing.

I also really fell in love with Little Bo. He's such a cute kid. I loved how he was all excited when Riggins was going to stay to watch Back to the Future. I couldn't help but giggle a little at that. I wasn't surprised when Tim tried to kiss Bo's mom, though. I misread that moment, too. I'm curious as to how their little fling is going to play out in the future.

The Smash/Waverly story was kind of boring to me. It just seemed very anti-climactic to end it like that.

Overall, a great episode, and the previews for next week look like another good episode is in store for us.

On to Lost. This was a terrific episode. I have to start out with Michael Emerson. He plays creepy so well. The thing that creeps me out most about him, though, is how he can seem so honest, but yet is always calculating. His putting John against Jack was rather brilliant on his part.

This is most likely needless to say, but I was shocked about how Locke became paralyzed. I knew his father was a creep, but I had no idea he'd ever go that far to get his way. I can't imagine the twisted mind that would do that.

I also have to say that I loved the directing when John was first being put in a wheelchair. I thought that was some brilliant camera work, and seeing John's frightened expression was pitch perfect.

I have to toot my own horn a bit to say that I figured out that we'd be seeing John's father again at the end of the episode. I knew for sure when Ben was leading John to the room where he was holding what came out of the box. But even before that, I had an inkling. I'm not entirely sure what made me think that, but I just had some sort of hunch that we'd be seeing him again.

My favorite non-Locke related scene was the brief moment when Danielle sees Alex. It was touching and heartbreaking at the same time seeing Danielle's look of longing when she finally saw her daughter after 16 years.

The other non-Locke scenes were simply okay in my opinion. I didn't really find anything terribly compelling in those scenes, except for the fact that Kate still has obvious feelings for Jack. But that wasn't exactly anything new.

Next week looks to be very good, too. Apparently another castaway is going to die. I have no idea who it's going to be, but I hope it's more shocking than the last major death we saw.

Now, as usual, here's a list of questions that I'm thinking about after watching this week's episode.

- What is the fallout going to be between John and his father?
- Now that we know that Ben was born on the island, is it safe to assume that he's not healing as quickly because he's become immune to the island's healing properties?
- Who else was born on the island? Ben made it very clear that he wasn't the only one.
- How are Jack and Juliet going to feel that their escape was sabotaged due to Ben's manipulation?
- Is Ben going to remain in power with the submarine gone and with him being in a weakened state? I could definitely see a coup-like attempt happening.
- Where is this magical box that Ben was talking about, and where can I get one?

I guess that's about all from me. As always, I look forward to hearing some of your comments about both of these shows.

No comments: