Monday, March 5, 2007

Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters 3/4/07

Just so you all don't get confused, I've shortened Brothers & Sisters to Siblings in my title. I'm sure most of you would have gotten that, but I want to be very clear. :)

I wasn't all that enthralled by Desperate Housewives this week. Parts of it were pretty good, but most of it just ranked a blah on my scale. (I know, it's an odd scale, but just go with it.)

I did enjoy that they gave Rex a voiceover this time. It's a nice switch-up for a change. However, I don't really watch the show for the men, so I didn't really care about what was going on with them.

I loved meeting Edie's son. For those that may have recognized him, he played Ben Stiller's son in Night at the Museum. That kid is such a cutie, and he's a pretty good actor, too. I really liked how Carlos went off on Edie for not being a great mother, too. He was completely right in that regard. That short arc also gave a new dimension to Edie, which I rather enjoyed. It's nice to see her being fleshed out a bit instead of showing lots of flesh. ;)

Kathryn Joosten as Mrs. McClusky totally stole the scene she was in. I cracked up when she was talking about her husband's lackluster anniversary gifts. Her last line, "My last gift was a vacuum cleaner. He died two weeks later. I wasn't sad," was hilarious! Seriously, she should be used more often on this show.

Is anyone as curious as I am what cards Ian was holding during their showdown at Tom's pizza place? The only thing he could have had that would have beaten Mike is aces full of something, or four of a kind, or potentially a straight or royal flush. I just want to know how he won, darn it!

In any case, I don't think Mike is going to give up that easily. Considering how much he's gone through in the past year, giving up probably isn't going to happen.

I also liked Andrew calling Austin on being a dog. I enjoyed his little line about liking dogs, too. I could sense some innuendo in that line.

They did a great job finding a stand in for Marcia Cross, too. Although, it was very clear that it was a stand in since they carefully didn't show her face.

Overall, though, it wasn't the best episode I've seen. Especially compared to the last new one.

Brothers and Sisters on the other hand, was fantastic! I like when one little (or not so little as the case may be) thing drives the story for an entire episode. The reveal of Rebecca being a step-sister to the Walker clan was amazingly done.

I love how the whole thing just snowballed, hitting every cast member in a different way.

I'm actually really happy Saul had the courage to go against the rest of the family to tell Nora about Rebecca. I think he had the right idea, since the last secret he kept from her was incredibly devastating. I don't think his choice of venues was the greatest spot for the reveal, but I'm glad he spit it out.

I thought Kevin confronting Saul was great. I really like Kevin, not only because he's gay, but because he seems to be the most sensible one in the family. It felt very in character for both of them to feel the way they felt.

As a side note, could this week's episode mark the beginning of the end for Kevin and Chad? I really hope so, because I don't really like their pairing. Not to bash Jason Lewis, but I don't feel like he's as committed to the part as he should be. Perhaps it's because he's just supposed to be a short term character, but still.

Anyway, back to the main plot. Kitty and Justin's reactions were spot on. I love how Kitty just wanted to sit still because every time she moves something seems to blow up in the family. It's very true, unfortunately. I'm really glad that she has someone to lean on now, though.

I was a little worried for Justin, though. At first I thought he was buying some drugs. You wouldn't believe how happy I was that he just called his sponsor. He's really taking the sobriety seriously, which is great.

As another side note, I've always identified most with Justin, and I've finally nailed down why in this episode. It was when his sponsor was telling him that he doesn't like to see people hurt and that's why he became a medic in the army (or whichever branch he was in). I'm the same way, except for being a medic. I hate the sight of blood, so being a medical professional of any sort isn't my cup of tea. Anyway, bringing myself off the tangent I inadvertantly got myself on, I'm a lot like Justin. I hate to see other people hurting, and I tend to want to help them out, or take on their pain in some way. And if I'm in pain, I typically just want to escape. I don't use drugs as the route of escape; I'm more of a brooder. But, still. I try to escape in whatever way I can. So, I really understand Justin and his mindset with the whole thing.

Back to the main story (again!), I also liked how worried Tyler was for Justin. I'm quite sad that their relationship isn't working out at the moment, but that doesn't mean that they'll never get back together. I think it's good that Tyler walked away gracefully and only wanted to see Justin well. That gives me hope for the future of that couple. They're a great pairing, and I really would love to see more of them in the future.

I LOVED how Sarah told Rebecca the truth. I like how that whole scene played out. First how Sarah thought she'd met Rebecca before, to her inviting her into her office to tell her. I got a lot of delight from that moment.

I'm glad Rebecca went and confronted Holly about it right away, too. That was great. And I'm a big fan of bringing in backstories, so hearing about how William brought Rebecca a doll when she was in the hospital was perfect for me.

I was not thrilled by how Holly acted so hurt that Sarah told Rebecca the truth. Holly's done nothing but tear that family apart since her arrival on the scene, so for her to act so self-righteous about what Sarah did really ticked me off. Although, it's totally in character for Holly to do that, so it wasn't all that surprising. I, personally, just get really annoyed with people/characters who act all entitled when they really aren't. (AMC's Babe, I'm looking at you!)

I think my favorite moment of the episode, though, was the end where Justin and Rebecca were bonding. It was just a nice, touching moment. Small moments like that are what really make a story resonate with me. Plus, I really enjoyed how Justin and Rebecca were practically connected before this by having a friend in common.

Overall, a great episode of Brothers and Sisters, and I'm really looking forward to new episodes, whenever they may air.

No comments: