Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Lost: Should I tune in when it comes back on?

Since tonight is Wednesday and Lost would typically be on, I figured this is as good a night as any to write a little something about it.

I'm seriously debating not watching Lost anymore after it comes back from hiatus in three weeks. There are several reasons for this, which I'll outline below.

1.) I was one of the people that wasn't incredibly thrilled with the first six episodes. Sure, they were better than a lot of the crap that's on TV these days, but it just wasn't the same Lost that I remember. Part of the reason I liked the first season is that we learned a little bit about each of the main castaways. Granted, some of the cast members were featured slightly more than others, but it wasn't terribly noticeable to me. But this season, so far, we've seen mainly Jack, Kate, and Sawyer along with the Others. Don't get me wrong, those three are great characters. But I've come to love the more secondary characters. I want to see more Charlie, more Claire, more Hurley (especially Hurley). I don't really care about the Others, and having them forced down my throat for the beginning of the season isn't endearing them to me at all.

2.) Taking off from the end of the last point, I don't feel any reason to try to care about who the Others are and what their motivations are. Even though they've done a fabulous job of casting Ben and Juliet, I can't bring myself to work up any emotion toward them. Part of this is because the last time they introduced a whole bunch of character was in Season 2 with the Tailies. We all know what happened to them. Pretty much all of them are dead, except for Bernard, but he's apparently quite inconsequential to the show. So, who's to say that they just won't systematically kill off all the Others as well? One's already dead because Sun shot her. And Ben's life is in jeopardy (not that he'll actually die, though). It's hard to get invested in characters that may not be around for the long haul.

3.) I'm getting really tired of not getting any answers to questions. OK, I'll restate that. We get some answers, but not nearly enough. I want to know more, like what happened to the hatch, how the Others can live in a perfectly normal civilization, and how on earth there can be a second island. And I want to get these answers without having five more questions posed from those answers. I know that the powers that be are trying to assure us that there will be answers by saying that they're already discussing an ending point for the show, but I don't really believe them, no matter how often I read about it in Michael Ausiello's blog. Plus, I have a hard time that they'd be able to end the show by answering all the questions if they plan to end it anytime in the near future. Just my opinion, though.

4.) I don't like how the show is off the air for three months. I think the execs made a bad move with that idea. Once you get people out of a habit of watching a show, it's hard to get them back. Look at soaps as an example. Granted, this is a primetime show, so it's not as hard to get people back, but three months is a freakin' long time. Plus, they're not showing any repeats, so getting people caught back up after three months is going to take some time. I just think it was a mistake. And I think that next year they should do their season like 24 does, where all the new episodes are one after another with no breaks. That I'd be able to handle.

So, anyway, those are the main reasons I'm thinking of not tuning back in in three weeks. I think they're very compelling reason, but I also know me better than that. I know I'll watch just to see what happens, because I'm pretty much addicted to the show. However, I'm not afraid to stop watching if the show doesn't get its act together and most just a teeny bit faster. I don't think I'm asking for too much, am I?

No comments: